Prep Time : 31-40 minutesCook time : 41-50 minutes
Taste : Spicy
Ingredients for Kaala Mutton Recipe
1. Mutton cut into bite sized pieces on the bone 750 grams
2. Green chutney ½ cup
3. Turmeric powder ½ teaspoon
4. Salt to taste
5. Yogurt 1 cup
6. Onion sliced 1 medium
7. Oil 5 tablespoons
8. Coriander seeds 1 tablespoon
9. Green cardamoms 3-4
10. Cinnamon 1 inch
11. Cloves 4-5
12. Black peppercorns 4-5
13. Fennel seeds (moury) 1 tablespoon
14. Dried red chilies broken 3-4
15. Dried coconut -grated ½ cup
16. Bay leaf 1
17. Caraway seeds (shahi jeera) 1 teaspoon
18. Garlic chopped 2 tablespoons
19. Ginger chopped 1 tablespoon
20. Onions finely chopped 2 medium
21. Potatoes peeled and cubed 2 medium
22. Tamarind pulp 1 tablespoon
Put mutton in a bowl, add turmeric powder, salt, yogurt and green chutney, mix and set aside to marinate for 20 minutes.
Put mutton with the marinade in a pressure cooker. Add ½ the sliced onion and mix well. Add 1 cup water, mix, cover and cook on high heat for 1 whistle. Reduce heat and cook for 10 minutes.
Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a shallow non-stick pan. Add coriander seeds, poppy seeds, cardamoms, cinnamon, cloves, peppercorns, fennel seeds and dried red chilies and sauté till fragrant.
Add remaining sliced onion and sauté till onion turns a dark brown. Add dried coconut and sauté till brown. Remove from heat and set aside to cool.
Grind the roasted mixture with some water to a coarse paste.
Heat remaining oil in a deep non-stick pan. Add bay leaf and caraway seeds and sauté till fragrant.
Add garlic and ginger and sauté for a minute. Add chopped onion and sauté till light brown.
Add potatoes and mix well. Add some water, mix, cover and cook on low heat for 2 minutes or till the potatoes are half done. Add cooked mutton, mix, cover and cook for 2-3 minutes.
Add the ground paste and mix well. Cover and cook on low heat for 2 minutes. Add tamarind pulp, mix well, cover and cook for 2 minutes.
Serve hot garnished with green coriander leaves.