Sylhet Office : Nineteen shops were destroyed in a fire that broke out at a market in Kanaighat Upazila Sadar on Friday afternoon.
Locals said the fire originated from a tin-shed shop at Purbabazar market around 2:30pm and soon it engulfed 18 adjoining shops. An electric short-circuit is suspected to have sparked the fire.
On information, three firefighting units from Sylhet Cantonment, Jaintapur, and Zakiganj rushed to the site.
The flame was brought under control after about an hour’s frantic effort, said Abdul Ahad, officer-in-charge of Kanaighat Police station.
The affected shop owners claimed that the estimated loss was about TK 1 crore.