Home / Lead News / Bangladeshi family missing in London fire

Bangladeshi family missing in London fire

unnamed (7) A Bangladeshi family has remained missing since a massive fire gutted their apartment building in London, media reports. Komru Miah lived in a flat of the Grenfell Tower with his wife, two sons and a daughter, their relatives told reporters.

A deadly overnight fire raced through a 24-story apartment tower in London on Wednesday, killing at least 12 people and injuring 74 others. One desperate woman threw a baby out of a high window and a man on the ground managed to catch the child, a witness said.

According to local reporters, Komru Miah, 90, lived in a flat of the Grenfell Tower with his wife, two sons and a daughter, their relatives told bdnews24.com. 

Six people died and scores were injured after fire raced through the 24-storey building with more

Komru’s daughter Begum Tania spoke to her cousin Abdur Rahim, who lives in Chelsea, around 2:30am. She was pleading to be rescued, Rahim told the reporters.

“I can still hear her pleas. She said they were all inside a bathroom and had no ways to escape. She said we should pray so that they don’t suffer as they die.” 

The family, originally from Moulvibazar’s Koiyachara, moved into the ill-fated building about a year ago.

Komru’s elder son, Abdul Hakim, lives separately with his wife and children. His other two sons are Abdul Hamid and Abdul Hanif.

Rahim said he has been failing to communicate with the family since that conversation. “We waited near the building with my cousin Hakim for hours. But there is no trace of them.”

“We were all preparing for Tania’s wedding which was supposed to take place in a few days,” said Rahim. “The family was even planning to go to Bangladesh after the wedding.”

The police also did not have information on the family.

There were a few more Bangladeshi families living in the building constructed in 1974, Rahim said, recalling conversations he had with Komru.

Constructed in 1974, Grenfell Tower has 24 stories, with 120 apartments across 20 residential floors; it is owned by the local government and managed by an outside company. A refurbishment was completed last year. The cause of the fire was not immediately known, but a tenant group had complained for years that the management company was inattentive and that the building was at risk of a deadly fire.

Addressing members of the public as fire crews continued to battle the blaze, Met Police Commander Stuart Cundy said that 12 people ‘that we know of’ have been killed in the blaze.

‘Sadly I can confirm that there are now 12 people who have died, that we know of,’ Commander Cundy said.

‘This is going to be a long and complex recovery operation, and I do anticipate that the number of fatalities will sadly increase beyond those 12.’

 

 

 

More than 200 firefighters, backed up by 40 fire engines, have been fighting for more than 16 hours to try and tackle the towerblock blaze.

It is one of the most treacherous fires seen in London for a generation.

People have been desperately searching for their loved ones since the building was completely destroyed.

And many have questioned why there was only one fire escape in the block, and why sprinklers had not been fitted.

 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

*