Home / Sports / NZ Cricket cancels U19 team’s Bangladesh tour over Christchurch shooting

NZ Cricket cancels U19 team’s Bangladesh tour over Christchurch shooting

New Zealand Cricket have cancelled their under-19 team’s scheduled tour to Bangladesh after the recent terrorist attack at two mosques in Christchurch.

In a press release issued on Monday, NZC Chairman Greg Barclay said the decision had been taken as Bangladesh Cricket Board (BCB) agreed with them.

Both the cricket boards have also agreed that proceeding with the April tour would be ‘insensitive and inappropriate’ so soon after the shooting that left 50 people dead.

Six among the total 50 victims of the March 15 attack were originally from Bangladesh.

Bangladesh national cricket team have narrowly escaped the massive shooting that occurred before the third test against New Zealand.

The authorities immediately cancelled the third test and Bangladesh team returned home.

“We have conveyed our deep sense of regret over the circumstances leading to this mutual decision, and the BCB have been both understanding and generous in response,” Barclay said in the release.

“NZC have nothing but respect for the BCB and believe this development has only served to bring our countries closer together, and to strengthen our bond through cricket,” he added.