Home / Sylhet / Teen girl electrocuted in Sylhet

Teen girl electrocuted in Sylhet

A teenager girl died and her cousin is in critical condition after being electrocuted while trying to hang clothes on the rooftop of their aunt’s house in Sylhet.

Samia Rahman, 18, succumbed to her injuries at Sheikh Hasina National Institute of Burn & Plastic Surgery on Friday afternoon (April 26).

Samia, a resident of Boroail village in Bianibazar upazila, suffered 90% burns.

Her cousin, Sadia Jannat Eva,23, also got electrocuted but is receiving medical treatment in Dhaka.

Samia and her cousin Eva went to the rooftop of the three-storey house to bring in clothes on Wednesday evening. At that moment, Samia was struck by an electric wire on the rooftop. Eva, in an attempt to save her, also got electrocuted.

Samia’s cousin Dipu Ahmed said, “Samia passed away while undergoing treatment at noon.”

They were admitted to Sylhet M.A.G. Osmani Medical College Hospital.

Dr. Soumitra Chakraborty, the assistant director of the hospital, said after initial treatment, they were referred to Dhaka for advanced medical care.

Within a day of being transferred to Dhaka, Samia succumbed to her injuries.